“Let’s face it, sometimes the basic dressed candle spell just doesn’t cut it. When I needed some serious road opening, I devised this extra powerful Road Opener spellcast. It uses some additional products, not just Road Opener/Abre Camino formulas, in order to provide some much needed oompf.”
Source: The Spellcaster’s Source Hoodoo and Voodoo Witchcraft Blog
If you ever wondered what the directions for a hoodoo spell look like, this post is a good example, one that tells you the spell’s purpose, the ingredients you need, and provides a how-to-do-it narrative. While researching the novels in my Florida Folk Magic Series, I relied strongly on sites like this, comparing and contrasting the ideas I found to see which ones had the best fit to traditional Southern conjure.
Kathryn Belle Campbell
Mother kept her recipes on 3X5 cards in metal boxes, one of which ended up with me. This is one of my favorites because it works so well as a comfort-food side dish for many things, including fried or baked chicken, pork chops, pork or beef ribs, and even cubed steak or fried fish. As her recipe card said, “this rice dish is unusual and very good.” (Note: the rice itself is not green.)
- Cook 1 cup of long grain rice according to the instructions on the package.
- To the cooked rice, add 1 cup milk, 1 egg, 1 cup grated sharp or extra sharp cheddar cheese, 1/2 minced green pepper, 1/2 cup of minced parsley, and 1 half clove of garlic.
- Mix thoroughly and pour into a greased baking dish.
- Pour 1/2 cup of olive oil over the top.
- Bake for 1 hour in a moderate (350 degree) oven. Casserole top will be slightly browned.
- Serves 6-8.
- Neither of us likes green pepper and since the taste in the casserole is pervasive, we omit it.
- Fresh parsley tastes a lot better than dried. (No offence to the McCormick Company.)
- We use a lot less olive oil: you can get the taste of it with 1/4 a cup or even a little less.
- We cheat with a little garlic powder. (Yes, I know, Chef Ramsey would be ticked off.)
When I was recovering from kidney surgery a year ago, my wife found that this food was gentle on my stomach and hit the spot when served alone. It warms up easily in the microwave.