This is a pop quiz. Sure, you can copy and paste these lines into a Google search or look at the answers at the bottom of the page. But you won’t will you?
- In my earliest memory, my grandfather is bald as a stone and he takes me to see the tigers.
- A screaming comes across the sky.
- It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife.
- It was a queer, sultry summer, the summer they executed the Rosenbergs, and I didn’t know what I was doing in New York.
- Mother died today. Or maybe yesterday; I can’t be sure.
- It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen.
- The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel.
- Ships at a distance have every man’s wish on board.
- There was a boy called Eustace Clarence Scrubb, and he almost deserved it.
- We started dying before the snow, and like the snow, we continued to fall.
- The snow in the mountains was melting and Bunny had been dead for several weeks before we understood the gravity of our situation.
- Once upon a time, there was a woman who discovered she had turned into the wrong person.
- I was born in the city of Bombay…once upon a time. No, that won’t do, there’s no getting away from the date: I was born in Doctor Narlikar’s Nursing Home on August 15th, 1947. The time matters, too.
- Granted: I am an inmate of a mental hospital; my keeper is watching me, he never lets me out of his sight; there’s a peephole in the door, and my keeper’s eye is the shade of brown that can never see through a blue-eyed type like me.